Maintaining the car is not more difficult than other European or Japanese cars. The principle is the same for all – drain the old engine oil and pour the new one. Recommendations of the manufacturer say about 15 000 km of run after which it is necessary to change the engine oil, but in practice, many people do service at 8-10 thousand already. They are mainly city dwellers. Daily “driving” in city is very bad for an engine in traffic jams. Besides, if you operate the car:
- In extreme temperature conditions (low or high);
- On the road where poor or completely absent roadbed;
- High air dustiness, etc.
- What Kind of Oil Does a Honda Civic Take
- Valvoline Synthetic Motor Oil
- Castrol Edge 0W-20
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20
- AmazonBasics 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
- Idemitsu Full Synthetic 0W-20 Engine Oil
- Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30
- Liqui Moly TOP TEC 0W20 Engine Oil
- K & N Motor Oil Ultra Premium Protection
- How To Pick The Right Oil For Honda Civic?
- Engine Performance
- Honda Civic Oil Type
- Additional Features
- How To Change Engine Oil & Oil Filter on Honda Civic (On One’s Own)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Should I Use Synthetic Oil for Honda Civic?
- What Viscosity is Right for Me for the Honda Civic?
- Final Words
What Kind of Oil Does a Honda Civic Take
Each engine, and for all time of Honda Civic history has had their own specification, which regulates the characteristics of consumables and periods of their replacement. Strict adherence to these simple rules will extend the life of the unit and save the owner from trouble in the form of large expenses for unforeseen repairs. For your convenience, our review has collected the best motor oils that meet the criteria of the engines of this car.
Valvoline Synthetic Motor Oil
You may ask – what is the best oil filter for Honda Civic? Welcome to Valvoline Synthetic Motor Oil that is a premium synthetic oil for passenger cars. It is based on high-quality synthetic base with the addition of new additives. It has good detergent and neutralizing properties due to its high alkali number and low ash content.
5W30 is one of the most common synthetic viscosities. Lubricants with this label are designed for all-season use. They ensure optimal protection and engine performance in the range from minus 35 up to plus 30 degrees Celsius.
- Maximum engine protection and performance in a variety of operating conditions;
- compatibility with all fuels including gas and biofuels;
- qualitative reduction of deposits, maintenance of system cleanliness;
- maximum friction reduction resulting in fuel economy and less wear and tear;
- easy and efficient cold starting.
Castrol Edge 0W-20
Castrol Edge 0W-20 oil is truly the best motor oil for Honda Civic and quality proven by the fact that it is supplied to BMW plants for using in the engines of new cars. The manufacturer also recommends this oil for using during the service period and after its completion. The company develops its oil in cooperation with car manufacturers, so many automakers recommend it for their mechanisms.
The second technology used in the production of Castrol Edge 0W-20 is Fluid Strength Technology (FST). Together they give TITANIUM FST. The oil film produced by this technology is twice as strong as any other lubricating layer. In extreme conditions its strength is even greater, providing reliable protection for the engine no matter what it has to endure.
- Titanium-based additive for improved protective properties.
- Improved protective qualities.
- Very clean for sulfated ash and sulfur.
- Unique extra strong oil film, which enhances its properties under extreme conditions.
- Good cleaning and dispersing properties.
- Excellent protection against sooting, oxidation, corrosion and premature wear.
- Safe for catalytic converters and direct injection.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20
PENNZOIL Ultra Platinum with Pure Plus Technology 5W-20 recommended for using in the most modern engines with maximum fuel economy and performance.
It can be used in older generations of engines (while choosing oil viscosity always follow the recommendations of your car’s owner’s manual).
It is recommended for all automotive engines under all operating conditions that require an SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade oil under all operating conditions.
- Very good 5W-20 on PAO synthetic.
- Excellent thermal stability properties.
- Low burn rate.
- Best oil for high mileage Honda Civic.
- Low temperature performance is among the best.
- The oil contains organic molybdenum – reduces friction, improves fuel economy, improves power, reduces wear.
- 25% cleaner than any other of the most advanced engine oils produced by conventional technology.
- Excellent for the harshest winter operating conditions.
AmazonBasics 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Amazon Basics is in the business of making everything you need for your life, and invading the field of automotive maintenance. They make their regular oil in a variety of viscosity configurations. As for regular oil, Amazon Basics seems to cover its bases. Keep in mind that part of the lower cost is due to the fact that Amazon is manufacturing and selling, that also lowers initial investment costs.
You might be thinking, “But Amazon doesn’t manufacture anything. Since when have they started making synthetic oil?” Well, you’re right. The real manufacturer of this oil is Warren Distribution (like most synthetic oils). However, they are unique in what they have to follow Amazon’s recipes. Simply puted, Amazon hires Warren Distribution to produce synthetic oils to their own recipe.
We have to admit AmazonBasics 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is one of the best synthetic oil for Honda Civic with affordable price. Amazon’s motor oil is just as good as its more expensive competitors from big-name companies, and far superior to some of them.
- They are API certified.
- Prevents dirt buildup that can cause rust and corrosion.
- High resistance to viscosity and thermal degradation.
- Provides excellent wear and deposit protection, even with low-quality fuel.
Idemitsu Full Synthetic 0W-20 Engine Oil
Fully synthetic, environmentally friendly, high-quality engine oil for gasoline engines. Recommended for use in modern gasoline engines characterized by high fuel efficiency. It is used in cars whose technical manual indicates the recommended engine oil viscosity according to SAE 0W-20 or 5W-20.
Having incorporated the successful experience gained from the development of new-generation, Japanese engines characterized by high specific power and excellent fuel economy and due to the use of the original IDEMITSU additive mixing technology, IDEMITSU 0W-20 SN/GF-5 oil is one of the leaders among the high-quality energy-saving motor oils.
- Idemitsu 0W-20 SN/GF-5 is a synthetic engine oil that effectively lubricates moving and rubbing engine components at temperatures from -30 ° C to +15 ° C.
- Conformity to API SN specification means that this motor oil is characterized by enhanced detergency and protection properties, less burnout and excellent compatibility with various fuels.
- The GF-5 category provides low volatility and long oil life, as well as low foaming and fuel economy.
- Filling Idemitsu Extreme 0W-20 SN/GF-5 will improve the performance and technical life of the engine, stabilize the stroke of the cylinders and crankshaft, reduce the friction and resistance between the engine components.
Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30
MOBIL High Mileage engine oil for Honda Civic is made from a combination of synthetic and conventional quality base components with the latest features including a seal conditioner to prevent leakage in high mileage vehicles and an advanced cleaning additive system to ensure excellent engine cleanliness for all oil change intervals up to 7000 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first.
- Wear protection. Up to 40% better wear protection for longer engine life.
- Cleaner engine parts. Helps keeping engine parts cleaner for more efficient operation.
- Seal protection. Active Seal Conditioning Technology helps keeping seal materials supple to prevent oil leaks.
- Improved flow at sub-zero temperatures. Up to 30% better oil flow at sub-zero temperatures.
- Helps to reduce oil refill consumption
- Protects turbo chargers
Liqui Moly TOP TEC 0W20 Engine Oil
LIQUI MOLY HC Top Tec 0W-20 is a premium engine oil for Honda Civic with good anti-friction properties based on synthesis technology. Even under extreme loads it provides optimum lubrication, excellent oil film stability and minimal wear and deposits. Best suited for engines with a start-stop system. It provides maximum efficiency with low fuel consumption.
- Keeps the engine clean and runs smoothly;
- Excellent wear protection;
- High reliability of the lubricant;
- Saves fuel and reduces exhaust emissions;
- High stability;
- Optimal stability to aging;
- Excellent behavior at high temperatures;
- Extended engine life;
- Optimal oil pressure in all applications.
K & N Motor Oil Ultra Premium Protection
Also, one of the properties of K & N Motor Oil Ultra is to improve the quality characteristics of the engine and optimize its operation.
Modern detergent technologies are used in the process of creation, which allow obtaining extremely clean and high-quality product at the output. According to the manufacturer, K & N under the index Ultra, much better protects the engine from wear and tear than similar motor fluids.
- Optional anti-wear additive helps to protect important engine parts.
- Reduces sludge and deposits that conventional oils can leave behind.
- Contains conditioners that stop external and internal oil leaks.
- Increases the power of high mileage engines.
- Helps reduce fuel and oil consumption.
- Suitable for use in turbocharged engines.
How To Pick The Right Oil For Honda Civic?
If we talk about viscosity tolerances, then for cars that were produced before the 00’s, the manufacturer recommends choosing the original engine oil for Honda Civic with the index 10W-40 and 5W-40. For cars manufactured since 2000, the optimal variant is the composition 0W-20. But this option is only suitable for temperatures from -30 C (-22 F) to +15 C (+59 F). It will work for winter, but in summer this composition will simply flow into the oil pan. Therefore, for oil changes is better to use Honda Civic compositions with the index 5W-40. Although if there is no big heat, the best option is 5W-30.
The performance class defines the working load that an oil can withstand over a long period of time without significant deterioration of its properties. Like the viscosity grade, the performance class for your vehicle is also prescribed by the manufacturer, and this must be observed. It evaluates various characteristics, such as resistance to oxidation, protection against wear, corrosion, deposit formation, etc. The grades define the assignment for gasoline or diesel engines, standard or extended drain intervals or types of fuel injection.
In Europe the most commonly used classification is ACEA, that is a combination of the letters A, B, C and digits 1-5, for example A1 or B3.
ACEA performance classes of oils are as follows:
A – Gasoline engines.
B – Diesel engines for passenger cars, vans and light commercial vehicles.
E – Diesel engines of heavy vehicles.
C – Gasoline and diesel engines equipped with particle filters.
Honda Civic Oil Type
- “Mineral” 15w40 motor oils: these are called mineral oils because they are mostly made from crude refined oil, that gives them the maximum viscosity and therefore the thickness suitable for older engines that often consume oil.
- Semi-synthetic 10w40 oil: this oil has a good price/quality ratio and is considered semi-synthetic because it still consists of certain elements that increase its service life.
- “Synthetic” 5w40 oil: this type of oil is really adapted to the newest Honda Civic engines, in fact, the engine protection will be maximum, and yes, the cold weather will start.
All oils are selected and based on the tolerances of the car, compliance with SAE, ACEA and API. Honda Motor Company does not have its own system of approvals, there is a list of branded oils, which can be found below. The other oils are selected based on international specifications, and depending on the year of manufacture of the car:
- Generation V (1991-1995) – API tolerance must meet API SG/SH and ACEA A1.
- VII (2000-2005) – API must be SJ/SL and ACEA A3.
- VIII (2005-2010) – API SL/SM and ACEA A3.
- IX (2010-2015) – API SL/SM/SN and ACEA A3/A5.
- SAE for cars before 2000 model year is 5W-40, 10W-40, from 2000 model year. 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30.
How To Change Engine Oil & Oil Filter on Honda Civic (On One’s Own)
Scheduled lubricant changes are performed every 15,000 and 10,000 kilometers for gasoline and diesel cars, respectively. These time intervals are only relevant in the EU and Japan.
The manufacturer also draws attention to the fact that with intensive operation and aggressive driving the service interval should be reduced even further and the engine oil should be changed already at 5000 km.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should I Use Synthetic Oil for Honda Civic?
Synthetic motor oils are characterized by a very low pour point, allowing the oil to quickly begin lubricating the engine on cold morning starts. And when the upper limit of engine operating temperatures is reached, the viscosity of a synthetic oil will remain more constant due to its high viscosity index compared to mineral and semi-synthetic oils.
This means that a stable lubricating film provides improved protection of engine parts at higher operating temperatures.
What Viscosity is Right for Me for the Honda Civic?
Oil viscosity tolerances for the Honda Civic depend on operating conditions. The manufacturer recommends using 0W-20 compositions in the cold season, and switch to 5W-30, 5W-40 in warmer weather. 0W-20 is rather liquid oil, usually it is used for cars which have not covered more than 100-150 thousand km. If the condition of a car leaves much to be desired, it is better to use 5W-30 all the year round.
Can You Mix Synthetic Oil with Regular Oil?
It is not recommended to mix oils in a proportion 50/50 ratio. No more than 15% of the new composition should be topped up. If it is not possible to find an oil of the same manufacturer, the manufacturer’s tolerances should be used as a guide when selecting an oil. They must be the same for both products.
Choosing what to pour in the engine of Honda Civic, it is necessary to consider its current state. If it is worn, and the mileage exceeds 100 000 km, it is preferable to pour oil according to the service manual, with viscosity 0w20 and 5w30.
At mileage over 120,000 km it is optimal to pour compositions 5w40. However, such a product may be suitable only for those car models, which timing belts are installed on.
If the engine system is equipped with a chain mechanism, it is better to use branded oils from the manufacturer or alternative analogues that meet the tolerances of Honda.